Stand-Up Comedy 101
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn the basics of stand-up comedy in a structured class setting
- Mold topics into an original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act through proper joke structure and editing techniques
- Experiment with elements of improv and acting to create a unique and organic performance
- Hone your joke-crafting skills with a focus on writing content
Comedy Classes Include:
- Seven three-hour-long comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club, Saturdays or Sundays from 1 to 4PM OR Mondays from 6:30 to 9:30PM
- A Graduation Showcase at Helium immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which participants perform for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
Upcoming Class Dates
February - March Session
- Sunday Class: 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15, 3/22 - Grad Show on 3/25 @ 7:30pm
Is this class for beginners?
- Yes. Our Stand-Up 101 class is an entry-level course. All 200 level courses and higher require completion of an entry-level course or permission from the instructor to attend.
My child is 13 years old, can I sign them up for a class?
- Unfortunately, no. All Helium Comedy Academy classes are 18+.
How much progress can I expect to gain from this class?
- As with any class or lesson, you get out what you put in. Those who participate, do the homework assignments, and put real effort in their work will see significant advancement in their skill level over someone who was merely present in class.
What is the benefit of taking this class versus performing on open mics?
- Time saved. In 7 weeks we will teach you the skills needed to become an Open Mic regular and then some. Skills that take people quite awhile to learn on their own.
Do I need to have any material ready before the class?
- There's no preparation required to start of any of our entry-level classes. Obviously, there's also no harm in bringing some material, ideas, or jokes you've been working on to the first day of class but that's totally optional!